LOCATION: SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Our client is a San Francisco-based (financial district), self-funded start-up incorporated in 2015. The company has a unique and patented technology to automate network service provisioning for server-less applications in hybrid clouds. It provides real-time automation for provisioning and maintenance of agile and secure connectivity among any combination of physical server, virtual machine (VM), container, bare metal and IoT endpoints. Our client’s technology has the radical distinction of replacing centralized network controllers with the world’s first network microservice platform solution. This position reports to the Co-CEO, Charles Stucki.
They are currently seeking an energetic Director of Digital Marketing. As the only marketing professional in the company, you will be key to generating awareness, excitement and preference. You will design a differentiated digital style in on-line and presentation content. You will produce outbound messaging, positioning and digital content working closely with the business and technology leaders. You will drive search and other traffic to the website. Your mission will be to differentiate and place digital content in front of multiple audiences – enterprise business and technical decision makers, as well as prospective investors and employees. You develop crisp, clean, and modern positioning and messaging and create web, LinkedIn and Twitter and video collateral that compels action. You will create presentations and ensure web-pages, whitepapers, solution briefs, webinars, infographics, YouTube videos etc reach target audiences quickly, confidently and effectively. You must have proven digital graphics and digital marketing experience targeting enterprise customers.
Key Responsibilities of the Director, Digital Marketing
- Work closely as team with key executives to translate strategy, positioning and product content into digital marketing content elements.
- Own and develop the content layout and flow on the company’s website and manage the in-house and contracted web-masters to deliver a compelling digital experience.
- Choose and contract with design firms to create logos, style sheets, and presentation templates that convey an innovative, cloud-era, communications brand ethic.
- Develop key visual graphics to translate the messaging developed by the leadership into simple, compelling slides and webpages to be used in multiple pieces of collateral.
- Produce outbound messaging presentations, website content, webinars, infographics, placed-articles, YouTube videos and demos, etc by leveraging the leadership team and customers for messaging and content.
- Develop and execute a strategy to drive digital awareness of the company including Search Engine Optimization, frequent and compelling Twitter posts, placement of profiles and articles on LinkedIn and in publications, choosing trade shows for speaking and booth participation, publishing of YouTube videos, orchestrating press releases etc.
- Develop and maintain a dashboard of metrics, proposed budget, and budget allocation for all of the digital activities, and adjust the mix continuously to improve results.
- Actively refine our key presentations for all audiences including prospective customers, investors, sales and channel partners, employees, trade analysts and press, etc.
- Present our products and solutions in formal and informal settings as required.
Essential Skills of the Director, Digital Marketing
- Strong digital technology skills – comfort with hands-on use of web site technologies and style sheets, graphics and photo-image services, slide apps (Powerpoint, Keynote), digital marketing tools including SEO, and social media tools especially LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Exceptional visual communication and presentation skills with a creative flair to bring fresh ideas and stylish presentation into product positioning and marketing campaigns.
- Ability to translate understand sophisticated networking and software technologies to enable translation into key statements, visuals, and animations.
- Ability to create in partnership with hired specialists, graphical visualizations of complex technical concepts (such as frameworks, architectures and network deployments).
- Ability to communicate effectively to digital agencies, web-masters, press and analysts.
- Solid understanding/hands-on experience delivering high quality digital marketing content with an attention to detail and commitment to delivering quality products.
- Team-oriented with excellent collaboration, strong interpersonal skills, and excellent writing skills for clear communications.
- Driven, self-motivated, and comfortable working in a fast-paced, complex environment with an ability to juggle multiple projects/priorities simultaneously.
- Solid analytical and business skills with the ability to think strategically while working tactically and with agility.
This is a technology-oriented digital marketing role. To be successful, you MUST be able to understand the essential value propositions of the underlying technology, and how a customer uses it to solve problems, and be able to then develop a wide range of digital marketing content that can support the various stages of the company’s growth. The technology areas that you will need to be comfortable describing include: software defined networking (SDN) and network function virtualization (NFV) in general, IP networking (switching, routing, WAN, SD-WAN, VXLAN), software-defined data center orchestration, cloud infrastructure, network segmentation / micro-segmentation, serverless computing and containerization, and server and application virtualization. Comfort learning about and describing service orchestration, automation, network management, service management, application delivery management is also desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years of overall marketing experience with 2+ years of progressive outbound Digital Marketing experience in enterprise software in the top-tier enterprise market segment.
- Successful experience in marketing activities and content creation that supports a complex cloud-oriented technology product.
- Proven track record of managing talent and agencies covering all aspects of digital collateral development.
- Experience with enterprise networking, data center networks, cloud infrastructure, SDN and NFV is mandatory
- Experience with marketing infrastructure software.
- BS in Marketing (a BS, Computer Science or a MBA is a plus)
Our client offers competitive compensation and benefits/perks. Additionally, they’re looking for someone that wants to become a part of a fast-growing, highly technical and passionate team.
If this sounds like you, send your resume to
and let’s chat!
KEYWORDS: digital marketing, marketing, SDN, LAN, WAN, networking, IP