LOCATION: OAKLAND, CA
Our client is team of passionate, diverse, and ambitious builders and innovators with a simple mission - help people get out of debt, rebuild their credit, and get a fresh start. By leveraging their technology, data, and financial expertise, they are able to create innovative and transparent solutions that help clients settle delinquent debt, reduce creditor losses, and yield high returns for our investors.
They are in hyper growth mode and are currently looking for talented team-players who want to work hard, make a positive impact on the world, and be rewarded for their contribution. Their core values of honesty, empathy, ingenuity, collaboration and empowerment drive everything they do.
They are looking to bring on a Head of Engineering who will lead the scale of their data, security, and technology infrastructure to impact business goals. You are an innovative and business-savvy professional with a forward-thinking approach to leading a team and influencing decision-making. You will be accountable for the strategic engineering, architecture, and deployment of the technology as they prepare for the next stage of rapid growth. This position will be both strategic and hands-on, with 40% of the role being involved directly with coding.
Key Responsibilities of Head of Engineering:
- Collaborate closely with internal stakeholders to plan a forward-looking engineering strategy. Build, plan, and provide expert technical guidance for the execution against engineering initiatives.
- Identify, strategize, and lead multiple technical projects and the team of globally-dispersed software engineers
- Implement effective engineering processes, technology, and policies for sustained growth and efficiency
- Develop solutions-oriented metrics to track performance (for systems and people) and transition to a data and analytics-oriented organization
- Manage requirements for large complex systems and drive development from start to finish, including hands-on coding alongside the team if needed
- Build and manage technical budgets and allocation of resources including engineers assigned to mission critical systems and projects
- Product frequent and constructive feedback for the continual development of the technology teams (Software Engineers, QA Engineers, etc.)
- Keep abreast of relevant technologies and market developments, including competitors and opportunities, and make recommendations and decisions on inclusion into the company’s development methodologies and product architecture
- Build and maintain a culture of empathy, trust, and collaboration between engineers and the business
Qualifications of Head of Engineering:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science. Graduate degree a plus.
- 7-10+ years of back-end engineering experience with minimum 3+ years of people management responsibilities
- Must have demonstrated experience architecting complex, mission-critical, and security-focused business systems to scale that requires collaborating across multiple teams and understanding testing, hardware and deployment methodologies
- Exceptional coding abilities and expert knowledge of architectural patterns, data, and security
- Proven background instituting engineering processes from the ground up, including documentation and QA
- Strong technical skills (AWS, Ruby on Rails, Elixir, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Agile Methodologies
- Excellent planning, time and project management, and execution abilities
- A data-driven and analytical approach with providing simple solutions to problems
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication, and influencing abilities, with technical and non-technical audiences
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and ambiguous start-up environment
- Willing to code as well as lead
If you’re interested in this awesome career opportunity, please send your resume’ to email@example.com
KEYWORDS: engineering, Python. AWS. Offshore, Onshore, Agile, Scrum, back-end, payments, elixir